Start Local and Transfer Up

"Start Local and Transfer Up" submitted by SchoolGrantsfor Editorial Team and last updated on Saturday 23rd July 2011

If a family is on a tight budget, a good way to finance a four-year college education is to start with a two-year college education. Two-year community colleges, or junior colleges, have significantly lower fees and can be a great way to save money.

A good track record at a community college can result in collegiate coursework transferring to a more expensive public college to finish earning that BS. Similarly, if a degree from a private school is the family's preference, starting at a local community college or state school for the first two years and transferring into the private school to finish is an excellent cost saver.

Transferring from a community college to a more expensive public college can be difficult, but an excellent academic record will assist in achieving the objective.