Enrollment Status

"Enrollment Status" submitted by SchoolGrantsfor Editorial Team and last updated on Friday 3rd June 2011

An indication of whether you are a full-time or part-time student. Generally, you must be enrolled at least half-time (and in some cases full-time) to qualify for financial aid. Enrollment Status is the number of credit hours being attempted by a student. Normally, students must be half-time or more to apply for scholarships. Individual programs will list this criteria.

A regular student is one who is enrolled or accepted for enrollment at an institution for the purpose of obtaining a degree, certificate or other recognized education credential offered by that institution. Generally, to receive federal student financial aid from the programs discussed in this guide, you must be a regular student. in order to verify your identity, to determine your eligibility to receive a loan or a benefit on a loan, to permit the servicing or collection of your loan(s), to counsel you in repayment efforts, to enforce the terms of the loan(s), to investigate possible fraud and to verify compliance with federal student financial aid program regulations, to locate you if you become delinquent in your loan payments or if you default, to provide default rate calculations, to provide financial aid history information, to assist program administrators with tracking refunds and cancellations, or to provide a standardized method for educational institutions efficiently to submit student enrollment status.

ED = % change in quantity / % change in price

For example, if the price of college was increased 1 percent, and enrollment dropped 1 percent, the price elasticity of demand (Ed) would be -1.0. The greater is the absolute value of Ed, the more responsive to price changes is the demand for the good.There are exceptions to this requirement for some programs.

Encouraging students to pursue and plan for a higher education is one of our primary goals. Studying the relationship between tuition, financial aid and enrollment is essential to our understanding of students’ needs in making the initial leap to higher education.

Different types of financial aid have varying impacts on college enrollment behavior. In general, grants tend to have a stronger influence on college enrollment than do college loans or work-study (of the same face value amount).

Depending on your financial need, you may receive both subsidized and unsubsidized loans for the same enrollment period, but the total amount of these loans may not exceed the annual loan limit.

For Stafford Loans if you’re a first-year undergraduate student and a firsttime borrower, your first disbursement can’t be made until 30 days after the first day of your enrollment period.

The most common loan deferment conditions are enrollment in school at least half-time, inability to find full-time employment (for up to three years), economic hardship (for up to three years), and military service.

You may be able to take community college courses while in high school through a dual enrollment program. If your school doesn’t offer one, try enrolling directly on your own. Before you leave school or drop below half-time enrollment, you must complete student loan exit counseling. Once your federal student loans go into repayment (after you graduate or drop below half-time enrollment), you will have several options for repaying them.

It is also important to notify your college and lender promptly of changes in your name, permanent mailing address, telephone number, enrollment or marital status, or financial resources.

Students with intellectual disabilities can receive federal student aid under the Federal Pell Grant Program, FSEOG Program and Federal Work-Study Program. To be eligible, you must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a comprehensive transition and postsecondary program for students with intellectual disabilities at an institution of higher education.

Further Read: