Half-time, Half Time Enrollment?

"Half-time, Half Time Enrollment?" submitted by SchoolGrantsfor Editorial Team and last updated on Monday 9th January 2012

Table of Contents

At schools measuring progress in credit hours and semesters, trimesters, or quarters, “half-time” is at least six semester hours or quarter hours per term for an undergraduate program. At schools measuring progress by credit hours but not using semesters, trimesters or quarters, “half-time” is at least 12 semester hours or 18 quarter hours per year. At schools measuring progress by clock hours, “half-time” is at least 12 hours per week. The advantage of federal aid is that the government pays the interest on selected loans while the student is in school. Students don’t have to make payments until they leave school or drop below half-time status.

Note that schools may choose to set higher minimums than these. You must be attending school at least half-time to be eligible for a Stafford Loan. Half-time enrollment is not a requirement to receive aid from the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study and Federal Perkins Loan programs. Most financial aid programs require that the student be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for aid. Some programs require the student to be enrolled full-time.

Half Time Enrollment?

Contact your lender to find out about the repayment process. Also verify your current address for the lender. An incorrect address is one of the leading causes of default, which can have a negative impact on your ability to obtain credit in the future

Students must begin to repay subsidized federal loans six months after graduating, leaving school, or dropping below half-time enrollment, and interest on the loans is charged once repayment begins. For Calculating your payments, Once your federal student loans go into repayment (after you graduate or drop below half-time enrollment), you will have several options (Standard, Graduated, Extended, Income-Sensitive, Income-Based) for repaying them.

If you change your name, address or phone number; drop below half-time status; withdraw from school; transfer to another institution; move your graduation date; or experience any other change that might impact your eligibility for an existing deferment, you must report the specifics to your lender.

More Details About Half Time Enrollment

Comments Post new comment