Important Documents to File

"Important Documents to File" submitted by SchoolGrantsfor Editorial Team and last updated on Friday 22nd July 2011

You need to contact the college(s) of your choice and find out the forms you need to complete and the time frame they want them completed in. This is not a very complicated process. It just requires you to stay organized. Don't spoil your chances for admission or financial aid by missing deadlines!

Find out each college's admission and financial aid application deadlines and record them in a notebook. Review the notebook once a week and make sure you leave yourself time for the post office to deliver the forms by the deadline stated. Collect Your financial records and other documents needed to apply FAFSA. Your financial records include your W-2 forms or other records of money earned, current bank statements, business and investment records, and records of untaxed income (for example, veteran benefits, Social Security, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families or General Assistance) as well as your or your parents’ 2009 federal tax return, if you file one.

What information do I need to complete a FAFSASM?

You cannot receive federal student aid unless all your information is complete and accurate.

Save all records and materials used to complete your FAFSA. Make a copy of your paper FAFSA or print the summary page of your FAFSA on the Web data and your confirmation page. You might need them later to prove the information you reported was accurate.

If your application is selected for verification and you do not provide the documents requested on time, you will not receive federal student aid and you might not receive aid from other non-federal sources.

Financial aid office (FAO) is dedicated to provide you with useful information about financial aid programs offered through college or university and the process to apply for and receive funding by providing the most comprehensive financial assistance possible to current and perspective students. Contact Financial aid office (FAO) .

Each college you list on your FAFSA will receive your SAR information. Your state’s higher education agency may receive a copy to determine your eligibility for state aid. You can review your Student Aid Report (SAR), which you’ll receive after submitting your FAFSA, and make any corrections. Be sure you (or your parents) complete your tax returns so you can update your Student Aid Report, if necessary. After you receive your SAR, you will also receive an award letter from the school(s) listed on your FAFSA that offer you admission. Contact the financial aid office at the school(s) that sent you an award letter if you have questions about your student financial aid award.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to qualify for aid through the federal government. Plan to file it by February 1 of the year you will enroll in college (you and your parents can estimate if your tax forms haven't been completed yet.) The FAFSA form can be found online by clicking here: FAFSA on the Web

Collect the documents needed to apply, including income tax returns and W-2 forms (and other records of income). A full list of what you need is at Tax return not completed at the time you apply? Estimate the tax information, apply, and correct information later. Access your federal student aid records online, including your student loan history information on National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)