Jobs that help you repay your loans
"Jobs that help you repay your loans" submitted by SchoolGrantsfor Editorial Team and last updated on Friday 22nd July 2011
Some jobs actually give you both a paycheck and help you pay down your student loans. Unless otherwise noted, you can learn more about the programs below at your college or at www.federalstudentaid.ed.gov.
Health Care Professionals
- Grants, fellowships and cooperative programs available in specific health profession areas
- Allied Health, Centers of Excellence, Chiropractics, Dentistry, Diversity, Geriatrics, Medicine, Nursing, Psychology, and Public Health. The Health Workforce Information Center's (HWIC) website also offers information on programs available to students and graduates of the health professions.
- Your federal Perkins loan debt can be canceled if you work full time as a nurse or medical technician.
- The federal government may assume your student loan debt if you work as a health professional in an underserved area. Learn more at www.bhpr.hrsa.gov and www.hhs.gov.
Child Care Providers
- If you work in a designated child care site or for a Head Start program, your federal Perkins loan debt can be canceled.
National Service Volunteers
- AmeriCorps awards can be used to pay off your federal student loan. If you serve as a VISTA or Peace Corps volunteer, a portion of your federal Perkins loan debt can be canceled. Visit www.americorps.gov and www.peacecorps.gov to learn more about these programs.
Military Personnel/Law Enforcement Officers
- Certain branches of the U.S. Armed Forces offer loan assumption benefits. For more information, visit www.todaysmilitary.com. If you serve in the U.S. Armed Forces in an area of hostility or imminent danger, 100 percent of your federal Perkins loan debt can be canceled. Contact your college for details.
- If you’re a law enforcement officer, you may be eligible to have a portion of your federal Perkins loan debt canceled
- Some law schools offer loan repayment benefits for graduates who work in public service. Contact your college or visit www.equaljusticeworks.org to learn more.
- Some U.S. government departments offer loan assumption benefits for employees.
Public Service Employees
- After 10 years of employment in certain public service fields, you may be eligible for forgiveness of any student loan debt you have remaining at that time.
- TEACH Grants - Federal programs for teachers
- Assumption Program of Loans for Education (APLE) for Credentialed Teachers
Please note that many of these programs are not accepting applications at this time due to deadlines already passed. However, please see the various links for upcoming application dates.