Student Aid Report (SAR)

"Student Aid Report (SAR)" submitted by SchoolGrantsfor Editorial Team and last updated on Monday 9th January 2012

Table of Contents

If you don’t already have a PIN, you can receive one instantly when you’re completing the FAFSA. If your Social Security number and name are later found not to match, you’ll have to manually sign your Student Aid Report. Both you and your parents can obtain a PIN from the U.S. Department of Education at If you are a dependent student, both you and your parents must sign the FAFSA prior to submission. When you apply online you may receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) in as little as five days. SAR summarizes the information you provide on the FAFSA. It could take up to three weeks. The SAR contains a summary of your FAFSA information and lists your EFC and is the figure used by colleges to determine eligibility for aid.

Your Data Release Number (DRN) will also be on the SAR, and if you applied for a PIN during the FAFSA on the Web signature process, you’ll receive information about the status of your PIN. Data Release Number (DRN) is the four-digit number assigned to your FAFSA by the federal processor. You’ll need the DRN to make corrections to your mailing address or the schools you listed on your FAFSA.

Each college you list on your FAFSA will receive your SAR information. Your state’s higher education agency may receive a copy to determine your eligibility for state aid. You can review your Student Aid Report (SAR), which you’ll receive after submitting your FAFSA, and make any corrections. Be sure you (or your parents) complete your tax returns so you can update your Student Aid Report, if necessary. After you receive your SAR, you will also receive an award letter from the school(s) listed on your FAFSA that offer you admission. Contact the financial aid office at the school(s) that sent you an award letter if you have questions about your student financial aid award.

Click on the image for full view

Review Your Student Aid Report

If you submit your FAFSA online and provide all the required e-signatures and an e-mail address, you’ll usually receive your Student Aid Report, or SAR, within 72 hours. If you submit the paper FAFSA, it could take up to three weeks. The SAR contains the information you provided on the FAFSA and lists your expected family contribution, or EFC, for the school year. Look for this number next to “EFC” at the top of your SAR—there won’t be a dollar sign. If there are any numbers after the EFC, even zeros, then your EFC was calculated. An EFC of 02500, for example, means that your EFC would be $2,500. Your EFC may be more or less than what you actually end up paying for college.

Your SAR will contain a comment that lets you know whether your data successfully matched with the Social Security Administration’s data or not. If your data does not match you will receive a notice with information to help you resolve the issue. Because of this extra step in the paper process, it is urge you to apply for federal student aid using the online application, FAFSA on the Web.

Review your SAR if you want to add or change schools later? Using your PIN, you can go to and select “Add or Delete a School Code” to make changes online or you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). If you call, you’ll need your Data Release Number (DRN), which is located on your FAFSA on the Web Confirmation page and on your SAR.

If there are no numbers, your SAR is incomplete and you must provide additional information or corrections before your EFC can be calculated. Review your SAR right away for accuracy and follow the instructions if you need to make corrections. If you don’t receive your SAR within three weeks or if you need another copy, go to or call 800.433.3243.

Sample SAR

Here is a sample Student Aid Report (SAR), so that you’ll know what it looks like. (The SAR is usually several pages long.)

Click on the image for full view

Your SAR—online or paper

How you submit the FAFSA—online or on paper—and whether or not you include an e-mail address will determine the type of SAR you receive. (If you submit the Spanish version of the FAFSA, you’ll receive your SAR in Spanish.)

SAR Submission Deadline

If the school you want to attend is not listed on your SAR, you must add that school to your SAR and submit your data to that school for processing by the last day of enrollment in 2010–11 OR by mid-September 2011, whichever comes fi rst. Be sure you know what the last day of enrollment is at the school(s) you want to attend—that date could be earlier than mid-September.

You also can use an automated response system at this number to find out if your FAFSA has been processed and to request a copy of your SAR. Or you can write to the FSAIC at the address below:
Direct Loan Servicing
1-800-848-0979 | TTY users can call 1-800-848-0983.
Direct Loan Consolidation
1-800-557-7392 | TTY users can call 1-800-557-7395.
Inspector General Hot line
To report student aid fraud (including identity theft), waste or abuse of U.S. Department of Education funds.
1-800-MIS-USED (1-800-647-8733)
E-mail: [email protected]
Web site:


financial aid transcript

does a technical school have to release your financial aid transcript if you owe just the school but not in default with the other loan?

Post new comment